Online presence is a must-have for every single company, smaller or bigger. Online population is still growing and people use the Internet to find more information about businesses, their services or products.
To make a good business website that converts visitors to customers, it is important to know who the website is meant for. As a visual example, when it comes to new trends, you can use this collection for an inspiration -> best business WordPress templates.
In a point of view focused on marketing, there are three main groups of people that a business website is meant for:
- People that somehow know about the company and want to find out more about it. They want to find out more information about you the business itself and its products or services. These visitors are thinking about purchasing business’ products or services and they need more information to make a buying decision.
- People that have a certain need and are looking for a business that can help them satisfy it. These visitors are exploring their alternatives and the website should clearly let them know what are business’ advantages over its competitors.
- Your existing customers. A business website can be used to maintain a relationship with current customers, provide them with information such as billing info and even upsell them.
Big businesses usually have bigger budgets for their websites and they have them professionally made. That being said, most of the websites of big business are not perfect. However, small WordPress business websites often make the same mistakes over and over again. Having a good and well-made website can certainly bring a competitive advantage to its owner.
Here are 5 common mistakes of small business websites that you should avoid to stand out amongst your competitors:
1. Not Keeping Marketing in Mind
The primary goal of your website should always be to attract new visitors and convert them to your customers. Small businesses often have websites that contain just the basic information about the company and lack any kind of focus on marketing.
You are a small local company that provides some kind of services? Great. So are 5, 10, 20 or even more other companies. Be sure to tell your visitors how you can benefit them and why they should choose you over your competitors.
But marketing is not only about that. You should also focus on things like Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Call to Action (CTA). SEO will help you get more visitors from search engines, while well written CTA will make sure that your customers know what you want them to do.
2. Not Being Mobile Friendly
The majority of users accesses websites using mobile devices. Navigating a website that doesn’t have a mobile version and is not responsive on a mobile phone is a nightmare. It is such a nightmare that a lot of visitors of a website like this will just leave. The times of desktop-focused WordPress websites with fixed dimensions are over. They have been over for years.